The Concessionary Fare Scheme funded by Welsh Government and administered by the 22 Local Authorities was launched in Wales on 1st April 2002.
The scheme entitles women and men aged 60 and over, and people with certain disabilities resident in Wales to free travel on local bus services throughout the Principality. In addition, disabled people who would be unable to travel without assistance may also be entitled to take a companion with them free of charge.
How to apply for a Travel Pass:
All applicants must complete an application form, available from Post Office branches. The completed form must be presented at the Post Office counter along with proof of address and eligibility and one recent passport-approved colour photograph. If the application is approved the travel pass will be posted to the applicant within 21 days of receipt by the Post Office.
Some applicants applying on disability grounds as detailed below may need to make their application to the County Council and complete an additional eligibility assessment form. The information supplied will allow the Authority to seek independent medical evidence to inform their decision.
Who is eligible?
Each applicant must be a permanent resident of Carmarthenshire and must satisfy one of the criteria listed below, producing appropriate documentation for verification.
- Women and men aged 60 and over.
- Blind and partially sighted persons
- Persons with impaired hearing
- Persons without speech
- Persons without arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
- Persons with a learning disability
- Persons with a disability or suffering from an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to walk
- Persons who would be refused a driving licence on health grounds
- Persons receiving War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement or Tariffs 1 - 8 of the War Veterans Compensation Scheme
What does the Travel Pass offer?
The Travel Pass entitles the pass holder to unrestricted free travel on registered local bus services throughout Wales. (N.B. Only those bus services registered in their entirety as local services with the Traffic Commissioner may participate in the scheme).
The Travel Pass does not entitle the holder to free travel on the following:
- Taxi journeys
- Ferry services
- Coach excursions or tours
- National Express services
Additional benefits for Carmarthenshire pass holders:
Carmarthenshire pass holders may also use the Travel Pass to travel at half the usual fare on qualifying Country Cars journeys.